Helpful Docs to read before posting: (All Docs) | Config Docs | General FAQ | Mailing List Sending FAQ | Error FAQ

DKIM in the Future?

Have a comment to make about Dada Mail? Good? Bad? Something needs work? Let's here it:

DKIM in the Future?

Postby danhinz » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:50 pm

Have a nagging issue where AOL is rejecting messages because the IP address that the message originates with (BlueHost) has a "bad reputation" with AOL. some AOL subscribers are not getting mail, I get the bounces. Researching indicates that paying for a dedicated IP will have no effect since the mail is not routed from that IP but rather BH's mailserver IP.

AOL says that if I were sending with DKIM enabled their server would allow/disallow based on the domain rather than the IP address.

Any plans to add DKIM support in the future?
any thoughts as to what to try in the mean time?.

Thanks,
Dan
danhinz

Re: DKIM in the Future?

Postby justin » Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:28 pm

I'm not sure if it's really Dada Mail's job to add a DKIM signature. Instead, wouldn't it be the MTA's job? That means, there may be nothing I have to or should do to Dada Mail in terms of DKIM signatures. The responsibility would fall on Bluehost to implement it.
justin

Postby justin » Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:57 pm

Looking a little further in this issue and using Bluehost as an example,

Bluehost doesn't currently use DKIM, but Dada Mail could sign messages with DKIM for everything, except discussion list messages. You'd still have to add a DNS TXT entry (which is possible with Bluehost) and configure all the public/private key stuff.

So, certainly possible, but it would be something for more advanced users.
justin

Postby danhinz » Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:40 pm

Thanks for additional checking. The discussion list application is what I'm interested in :-(
Makes sense that DDM can't vouch for those since the incoming mail could be spoofed unless it was DKIM or otherwise authenticated.

I added a subscriber with the AOL IP address responder so now for every message sent via the DL I should get a
message back from AOL with the IP address used by BlueHost. Some are "bad", others "undisclosed" no "good" ones yet...
danhinz

Postby justin » Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:45 pm

It gets very complicated, once you go into discussion list territory, since not only can you not sign for another domain, you can't keep the DKIM signature that may be there, since the headers and body may be played with. The Mailman DKIM page goes into pretty deep detail on all the problems:

http://wiki.list.org/display/DEV/DKIM

Another mailing list manager called Sympa does set its own DKIM signatures, but it doesn't even mention discussion mailing lists:

http://www.sympa.org/manual/dkim

So it looks like the jury is still out on what to do about that,
justin

Return to General