Helpful Docs to read before posting: (All Docs) | Config Docs | General FAQ | Mailing List Sending FAQ | Error FAQ

MysteryGirl and Customer Feedback Loops

Have a question about any of the Dada Mail plugins/extensions?

MysteryGirl and Customer Feedback Loops

Postby OriginalGeek » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:57 am

Does MysteryGirl know how to process the ARF format commonly used by ISPs and email providers as part of their Customer Feedback Loops? I need MysteryGirl to unsubscribe the user upon receipt of the first ARF record...
OriginalGeek

Re: MysteryGirl and Customer Feedback Loops

Postby justin » Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:16 pm

I don't really think I even know what an ARF record is. Do you have any links? I can certainly put a note, to put the feature in,
justin

Postby OriginalGeek » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:26 pm

Here's the IETF Draft on the spec.

http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-marf-base/

Forgive me if you are already familiar with this, I feel a little explanation may be helpful. Most email providers and ISPs have a "Customer Feedback Loop". Basically, this sends an email in ARF format to a participating mail sender, when a user clicks the SPAM button on one of the messages sent by the participating mail sender. Obviously, this only works if the SPAM button being hit is in a UI controlled by the ISP, like a Webmail interface or custom app. Standard mail readers like Outlook, Mail, Thunderbird won't generate an ARF in response to the SPAM button. The mail sender is supposed to remove the email address from the list pronto. Spamhaus covers this a little more in-depth here:

http://www.spamhaus.org/faq/answers.las ... Issues#119

In my very short experience with this, some email providers send the actual email address with the ARF, and others (notably AOL) redact the email address and only send the Message-ID header from the offending email. I am still trying to figure out if Dada is sending this or if MIME::Tools is setting up the Message-ID header, and how I might setup my mail server to log it so I can honor the removal requests.
OriginalGeek

Postby justin » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:50 pm

I'll certainly look at this for you, but it's pretty dense stuff,
justin

Postby OriginalGeek » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:59 pm

Yeah, I know. Maybe we can collaborate on it, but of course, we both have other priorities ahead of this. I just thought I would ask out here in case I was missing something in the docs, and the support was already there. At the appropriate time, as a minimum, I can serve as a source of information about which email providers/ISPs are using which fields or formats because I'm getting the experience of doing it manually.
OriginalGeek

Return to Questions